- Get to know the buzzer, OLED and moisture sensor
- Make something with a moisture sensor
1 x BBC micro:bit
1 x Micro USB cable
1 x Breakout board
|1 x Mini buzzer|
1 x OLED
1 x Moisture sensor
2 x Female-Female jumper wires
Note: You can plug in components in any sequence
- In this project, we are going to create a plant monitoring which the buzzer will sound when there is not enough water.
- A message will always be displaying on the OLED, showing the moisture level
- Firstly, plug in the OLED
- You are able to plug it into any of the three rows
Note: You can use any jumper wire colour
- Connect 2 Female-Female jumper wires to the Buzzer.
- The longer pin on the Buzzer will connect to the yellow pin on the breakout board, while the shorter one connects to the black pin.
- Plug the other end of the jumper wires to Pin 0
- For the next components, make sure the colour of the wire follows the coloured pins on the break out board
- Plug in the moisture sensor to Pin 1
- Click on Advanced in the Code Drawer to see more code sections
- We’ll add a package of code to be able to use our kit components
- Look at the bottom of the Code Drawer for Add Package and click it
- This will open up a
- Copy and paste this link into the Add Package… text field: https://pxt.microbit.org/89153-37616-68542-51563
- Click on the search icon or press enter, then click on the Tinkercademy button
Note: If you get a warning telling you some packages will be removed because of incompatibility issues, either follow the prompts or create a new project in the Projects file menu.
- Click on Tinkercademy inside the Code Drawer to find our custom blocks for the various components in your kit
- After that, use blocks under the Tinkercademy section to initialize the OLED
- Since there are only two conditions, we need only one ‘else-if’ statement
- Microbit reads values from moisture sensor continuously
- When the moisture sensor value is less than 50, this indicates that there is not enough water in the pot. As a result, the buzzer will sound and a message “Water your plant” will be displayed on OLED. Else if the moisture sensor value is larger than 50, the buzzer will be in silence and a message “Your plant is in good condition” will be displayed on OLED.
- Finally! You have created a machine that monitor your plant!