This course is designed for students aren’t content with knowing how to design webpages, and want to find out how the interactive web works. We’ll explore how “Web 2.0” came about and became part of our everyday lives, and see how everything on the web is now inter-connected via APIs. Students will get to apply what they learn on their own final project based on a data set they care about, e.g. local information released on data.gov.sg.
This course fulfils the requirements of Web App Developer Jr (Intermediate) on IDA’s ICT Learning Roadmap. No programming experience is required, nor is Web Developer Jr (Beginner) a pre-requisite to take this course.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand how websites and the Internet work
- Build an interactive web application that pulls information from an online source
- Introduction: How websites work; the web inspector
- HTML and CSS: HTML tags, CSS selectors, classes & IDs, and how they work together
- Mini-project: Create a personal profile page
- Mini-project: Create an interactive colouring page
- Build a weather app with jQuery & JSON, working with a public API
- Final project: Create an information presentation site from a publicly-available data source