In this fast-paced class, students will learn how to use Swift, Xcode, and UIKit to create and submit their own unique educational apps to the App Store, in time for them to obtain reviews by the end of the course. In addition, students will be exposed to an advanced app development scenario — what to do about back-end cloud storage, and how to create an interactive social app with relevance to their school lives.
This course fulfils the requirements of Mobile App Developer Jr (Advanced) on IDA’s ICT Learning Roadmap. This course does not require students to have taken any of the other “Mobile App Development Jr” courses, but is designed for highly motivated students willing to learn at a brisk pace.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Program in Swift, using the iOS SDK, to create iPhone or iPad apps
- Utilise UIKit libraries to create effective mobile user experiences for collecting and displaying information
- Implement a networked application using a cloud-based database solution
- Build and submit an app to the App Store, and market the app to receive reviews
- Apple Mac desktops / laptops running OS X Yosemite
- Xcode 6.1 and up (free from Mac App Store)
- School or students’ own iOS devices running iOS 8.0 and up
- Apple Developer account (S$129) for school or students — required to submit an app to the App Store
- Introduction to programming with Swift: variables, operators, control flow, collection types, functions
- Introduction to iOS SDK, views, view controllers, model-view-controller pattern
- Using back-end provider for networking
- Projects: Creating a health app, networked homework tracker app
- Final project: Create an educational app to teach a scientific or mathematical concept, to be submitted to the App Store